Question: I am a low-income senior looking for assistance with housing payments. Are there any financial programs that can help me?

There are both Federal and Provincial supportive housing grants for seniors with low-income. Some notable examples are:

Home Adaptations for Seniors’ Independence (HASI): helps low-income homeowners and landlords pay for small changes to assist seniors aged 65 and older with the activities of daily living (ex: hand rails, grab bars in bathroom, etc.) This program is federally run and you must apply.

Ontario Senior Homeowners’ Property Tax Grant: an annual payment that is made to low-income seniors to help pay their property tax. This is provincially run and you must apply.

Municipal Governments may also provide property tax relief programs for seniors. Call your local government office for more information. One example of this program is:

County of Wellington Tax Relief Program:

Here are other Federal and Provincial government websites that contain additional information about grants or credits that may be useful for seniors. To take a look at what else might be available, please check out the following links:

Posted in: Financial Aid and Information